Wednesday, October 1, 2014

YOU are what's wrong with wrestling!

Well, the above statement may no apply to EVERYONE reading this blog, but chances are, it does apply to many of you.

Let me begin this way. Many of us long for the good ol' days of pro wrasslin' when there were 30-some-odd territories, regional stars, and regional storylines. Days when writers were called Bookers and Sports entertainment was called wrestling. We watch the old Memphis or Mid-South, or Florida shows on YouTube and think: "Why can't we just have THAT again?!"

Well, gentle reader, the problem may just be the man in the mirror. If I may digress for a moment, I HATE spoilers. I can't stand when people insist on telling you what's going to happen before you watch a movie. I don't get why some people just HAVE to know what's going to happen in a film before they go see it.  For me, it ruins the tension and suspense that the filmmakers have carefully created through plot and the pacing of the story. The problem is, this mentality pervades the majority of online, keyboard warrior, wrestling fans. I don't know if it's the sense of power, or the ability to seem "in-the-know" in the eyes of others, but some people will do anything they can to spoil the surprise for themselves and for others.

So here's my point. The old territory system, the old ways of doing things simply CAN'T work like it used to. Too many of us have access to an internet connection and not enough self control to refrain from finding out all of the behind the scenes goings on's and match outcomes before they are televised. Now I can hear your objection: "But you have a YouTube channel dedicated to the behind the scenes stories from professional wrestlers! Hypocrite!" And that's true, but shoot interviews with former wrestlers are not the same thing as spoilers.

So that's it. I have no solution. I'm a realist. I know that no one's going to read this and suddenly not seek out spoilers. I'm just saying, as good as the old days were, the genie's out of the bottle... but you already knew that, huh? :)

Travis
SpotShowWrestling

No comments:

Post a Comment